- 100% of the donations benefit Make-A-Wish Foundation® and Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals®
- Join GameStop’s Twitter-a-thon featuring high-profile gaming personalities to donate
- Never seen before trade deals – one day only!
GRAPEVINE, Texas, Sept. 11, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Never before have gamers come together as an industry on National Video Games Day – until now. On National Video Games Day (NVGD), Wednesday, September 12, GameStop is uniting the gaming community to raise $100,000 to support Make-A-Wish Foundation® (MAW) and Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals® (CMNH), plus celebrate everything gaming with never seen before trade-in deals.
“GameStop Gives is GameStop’s new approach to charitable giving that uses the power of gaming to drive positive change in the areas of youth well-being and education,” said Martha Sotelo, head of corporate social responsibility for GameStop. “Through GameStop Gives, the company has united competitors from the game publishers, to manufacturers to gamers to join in the fundraising effort to raise money for children’s charities. This is the first time that these two children’s charities have been ‘married’ with the goal of helping kids get back to being kids.”
“We are calling gamers and non-gamers alike to join the cause and help us celebrate National Video Games Day,” said Eric Bright, vice president of Merchandising for GameStop. “Gamers are generous at heart, and the gaming community is all about connecting with old friends and making new ones while playing the games you love. I’m proud that today, the gaming community has joined together to make a significant impact to raise money for such great children’s charities.”
Kicking off the fundraising efforts, Microsoft donated $10,000 to the effort, and GameStop will be donating up to $8,000 from the limited sale of the Xbox® Adaptive Controller— sold exclusively at GameStop.com. In the spirit of inclusive design and supporting Microsoft’s “Gaming for Everyone” initiative, the Xbox Adaptive Controller is a first of its kind gaming controller built specifically for people with limited mobility – giving them a more accessible, customizable and inclusive gaming experience.
GameStop is giving an additional $10,000 during the NVGD donation drive, and Bandai Namco will also be making a generous contribution to support MAW and CMNH.
Gamers and non-gamers can donate to GameStop Gives in a variety of ways to benefit these charities:
- Join the Twitter-a-thon and donate online at GameStop Gives.
- Donate at checkout. Guests can give $1 or more or round up their purchase, and PowerUp Rewards members will receive triple PowerUp Rewards points on the donation amount.
- Donate PowerUp Rewards points. Members can donate points to each charity in the PowerUp Rewards Center.
- Trade for Charity. Donate up to 100 percent of trade-in value to charity when you bring used video game hardware, software, accessories or consumer electronics to GameStop.
Join the day-long Twitter-a-thon @GameStop with prizes awarded every hour!
“For one day only, gamers can connect with their favorite directors, developers, designers and players at the top video game and collectibles companies to benefit charity during the GameStop Gives Twitter-a-thon,” continued Bright. “This is a truly unique opportunity to ask the questions you’ve always wanted to ask, plus donate to help put smiles on the faces of many kids in need. Join GameStop on Twitter starting at 9:30 a.m. CT and donate online at GameStop Gives.”
Twitter-a-thon schedule(Central time zone)
- 9:30 a.m. – Eric Bright, VP of Merchandising for GameStop
- 10:00 a.m. – Aaron Greenberg, General Manager for the Games Marketing team, Microsoft
- 10:30 a.m. – Make-A-Wish Foundation
- 11:00 a.m. – Robert Bowling, Studio Head, Quantum Giant
- 11:30 a.m. – Nicks, Formula and Kiwiz, Obey House
- 12:00 p.m. – Andy McNamara, Editor, Game Informer Magazine
- 1:00 p.m. – Cameron Deuel, Social Content Strategy Manager, Funko
- 1:30 p.m. – Dmitryi Khlynin, Community Specialist, Bandai Namco
- 2:00 p.m. – Kenny, Team Envy
- 2:30 p.m.—Steve Cotton, Game Director, and Scott Taylor, Project Lead, Bungie (Destiny 2: Forsaken)
- 3:00 p.m. – Bryan Intihar, Creative Director, Insomniac Games
- 5 p.m. – Gorilla, Pro Fortnite Player, Team Envy
- Follow @GameStop and #GameStopGives to catch more surprise guests, including game developers, pro players and leading content creators
On NVGD, gamers can take advantage of the best trade values GameStop has ever offered – one day only
- Get up to $40 for select games
- Get up to $325 for select gaming systems
- Get up to $40 for select accessories
- Get up to $500 for select smartphones
- Donate your trades to charity and get 3x the PUR points
For more information or to donate, visit GameStop Gives, and to learn more about GameStop’s NVGD trade deals, go to http://www.GameStop.com/trade.
GameStop, the world’s largest video game retailer, offers the best selection of new and pre-owned video gaming consoles, accessories and video game titles, in both physical and digital formats. GameStop also offers fans a wide variety of pop vinyl toys, collectibles, board games and more. Through GameStop’s unique buy-sell-trade program, gamers can trade in video game consoles, games, and accessories, as well as consumer electronics for cash or in-store credit. The retailer operates thousands of locations around the world under the GameStop, EB Games and Micromania retail brands. Fans can find their local GameStop store using the company’s online store locator tool.
To get the latest news on video gaming and gear, follow GameStop on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube. GameStop, EB Games, and Micromania are part of GameStop Corp. (NYSE: GME), a global specialty retailer that makes the most popular technologies affordable and simple.
GameStop Public Relations
Source: GameStop Corporation